[Gllug] Bypassing the Great Firewall of China

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 20:13:36 UTC 2004

An Metet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a friend living in China who wants to be able to read foreign
> news while living in Shanghai.  Of course, the Chinese government
> knows better and restricts access to subversive sites like CNN and
> BBC.
>
> So, what's the best way to help my friend out?  Obviously the
> penalties if caught are pretty steep, though apparently everyone gets
> around the filtering anyway.
>
> I was thinking just let them tunnel in with ssh and use my personal
> proxy server.  If they send ALL their web traffic this way, it'll look
> a bit suspicious, but if they just use it occasionally it shouldn't be
> a problem.
>
> Any better or more elegant ways to do it?  My friend is using Windows,
> but is technically competent.  Needs to be simple, but workable under
> Windows.

It's how I get stuff through the company firewall (all legit of course).
It works well for everything except RPC and UDP. And is perfectly
workable under Windows with Putty. All the traffic will be encrypted, so
the authorities won't be able to tell what is going on. Although
presumably they have a down on encryption too:( An ssh server can of
course listen on a port which is not 22, and can listen on multiple ports.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk