[Gllug] Saturday: anyone fancy installing Linux on an ibook?

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 16:30:21 UTC 2004

On 26 Mar 2004, at 13:15, Matthew King wrote:

> NorthLondon John wrote:
>> Won't be at the Gllug meet, and haven't installed linux on an ibook
>> before, but I can answer your last question.
>> No, unfortunately, you have to reformat your entire hd, OSX can't be
>> preserved, HFS+ partitions can't be resized.
>
> Surely you can use some network and/or 2nd HDD magic to preserve the
> data during format or does HFS have some dodgy stuff in it (I wouldn't
> be a bit surprised but I can't think what sort of stuff) which won't
> allom this?

Clumsy phrasing - yes, you can use another hdd etc to back up data -
not sure about the complete osx installation.

> And is that "HFS+ partitions can't be resized" or "HFS+ partitions
> can't be resized at the moment"?

"At the moment", although I've just found this:
Patch landed for hfs(+) resizing in Gnu Parted:
http://lists.linux.it/pipermail/ppc/2003-November/000344.html

As far as I know, none of the ppc distros have hfs resizing built in.
(But it's been a few months since I looked at this.)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk