qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Mar 18 15:22:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:04:19PM +0000, C. wrote:

> I'd say exim is in the same class of configuration flexibility,
> actually. It has embedded perl, it's completely rewritable... and yes, I
> have seen turing complete config files for it.

To be fair, Sendmail can be regarded as an interpreter for a mail
delivery language and as such is infinitely flexible.  Exim has a string
expansion language but expansion is only applied in specific areas, so
it cannot be as flexible.  Embedding Perl can increase the flexibility
but at a significant performance cost.

That said, I'll take Exim over Sendmail any time, as I've never
yet encountered a complex task that I couldn't solve cleanly with Exim.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.