[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 14:27:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 02:17:52PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:24:31PM +0000, Ben wrote:
> > I agree it's important to know this information. The answer is no, slackware
> > doesn't know what the impact is. This is left to the administrator. I guess
> > this comes down in part to how far you take the unix philosophy and what
> > you as a sysadmin want.
>
> Which part of the Unix philosophy do you think Apt breaks?  Given that
> the Apt suite is made up of small, reusable tools that work together to
> a larger effect, I'd say they were eminently in the tradition.

Hmmm...I didn't say Apt breaks anything. I've said I haven't tried Debian
yet, so far be it from me to be down on Apt. I've no idea about it. I have
only said that Slack is alright after the OP hinted that package removal
could be difficult on slack. Like I said, it's easy. It follows the unix
style of "here's enough rope - if it's not enough to hang yourself, we
can always find some more". Really, I'm not interested in distro wars
and will not post in that manner.

Like I said, I will try Debian out when I next get the chance. Please don't
interpret my comments on slackware as being an oblique comment on "the other
distro", whatever that may be... ;-)

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk