[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 18 09:22:07 UTC 2004

> Because when you're faced with having non-technical people having to
> make updates to your website it's much nicer to have some software that
> writes reasonably competent code in a WYSIWIG view than spend several
> weeks trying (and failing) to teach them how to code HTML.<br>

All you need to tell them is:

Put this standard bit of mumbo-jumbo in the top and bottom of the file
(the standard bit being a couple of server-side includes).  [Actually,
it's: when you want to start a new page, copy this template file to
index.shtml]

Write the rest of your document.

Put <p>  ... </p> around paragraphs.

Finished.  This is not hard.  They can learn fancy stuff like using
<strong> and <h?> later.

> Other reasons why it's useful (and things I've not really seen anywhere
> else):<br>
>
> 1. Templates can make large (static) sites much easier to manage<br>

SSI is a much better alternative than DW templates.

> 2. Sitewide search and replace, text based, tag based or even attribute
> based<br>

That's a feature of my editor.

> 3. The new CSS features in MX 2004 are actually really nice
> (intellisense style drop downs when writing style rules, for instance)<br>

No idea about this.  None of the end users will be writing CSS anyway.

The hard part is getting people used to using CVS to manage the
content and versions.

Rich.

C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,
trees, string funcs, pool allocator: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk