qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Mar 12 08:15:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:31:12PM +0000, bradut wrote:

> I use qmail at the moment and I am quite happy with it. Should I now
> start looking into alternatives ?

1. DJB no longer develops it.
2. DJB's unpatched version is more of a proof-of-concept than a
practical design.  Some of the things it does are very inefficient (e.g.
always sending a separate copy of a message for each recipient, no
matter if several of them are in the same domain).
3. All the improvements to qmail that might make it practical are
user-contributed patches, none of which have DJB's official approval.
4.  DJB doesn't let anyone distribute patched binaries.  OK, most
distributions make it easy to compile your own patched versions but this
is still significant.

The reason to use DJB's applications is supposedly his godlike,
super-secure coding.  But the only way to have a useful qmail
installation is to add a whole bunch of user patches which have not been
reviewed by the master.  There is a fairly obvious contradiction in
that.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock