[Gllug] GIMP (was Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux)

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Mar 17 12:51:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:37:19PM +0000, George Hazlewood - Layer1 wrote:
> 2) As you say "almost as capable", I was under the impression that the
> feature set of GIMP vs. PS isn't comparable (but I realise that this may
> be my misunderstanding of GIMPs ability).  For me to switch, GIMP would
> have to not only beat PS on the feature front, but actually have
> features that PS doesn't...

If we're talking about what's required of GIMP in order to have it
be considered a serious graphics package for Linux, then it doesn't
need to have feature parity. Photoshop has sooo many years head
start on development that this feature parity to satisfy everyone
is a huge task. To enable widespread adoption it just needs to have
the 'X' percent of features that the typical PhotoShop userbase
actually touch. If graphics ppackages are anything like office suites[1],
then the magic number 'X' will be significantly less than 100%. With
the new v2.0 release of GIMP I'd say they're pretty damn close to this
threshold, so the only real barriers to widespread adoption is the ever
present factor of re-training / learning to use it.

Oh & my 2 cents on why Photosho sucks - MDI - it pains me every time I
try to use it that I'm constrained to this 'one application rules the
desktop' view. Arrgghh, you'd think Windows developers would have
gotton out of this MS-DOS single task mindset by now....

Dan.

[1] The old saying '95% of users only access 5% of features of Word'.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|