[Gllug] Re: Debian hopeless

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 13:41:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:10:59PM +0000, Garry Heaton wrote:
> > From the tone of your mail I deduce that you have experienced Debian
> > rage, and your'e not merely posting anti-Debian FUD as it seems.
>
> > My advice is to install discover and it'll tell you which module to use:
>
> > apt-get install discover
> > discover --enable-all --module ethernet
>
> > Simon Morris
>
> Simon
>
> I'm in no way anti-Debian per se, just anti time-wasting with half-baked
> software so I suppose Debian just ain't for me.
>
> Unless you mean apt-get from the CD-ROMs I'm using the machine has no
> network connection and is joined to a broadband LAN so that option is
> ruled-out. In any case I was hoping to promote Debian in my teaching work
> but if hardware is such a non-starter then I'll stick with Fedora Core which
>  I installed on the same machine in about 20mins.
>
> Debian detected the VIA-rhine ethernet contoller but then claimed it
> couldn't load a module for it. Work that one out. Even worse, I selected
> Partition Disk and nothing happened. Straight back to the menu.
>
> Garry

People can call me names if they wish, but i frequently start with potato as
the installer,  2.2 is solid and will get you most of the way forward. if you
get to the stage where you have no network then using some other machine /
partiton copy over the 2.4.24 kernel source and compile it using the stuff on
the cd, select the modules/drivers you like and install them, reboot, insmod
and tada, on a 1ghz machine i would say i could go from basic debian potato
install to a sane woody install in about 30 mins, and best of all i would know
exactly what was on the box and know its hardware alot better than if i
installed dead rat and let it do it for me.

Ian

> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk