[Gllug] P2P PIM Variation

Steven Goodwin steev at tuls.pauken.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 14:57:33 UTC 2004

This is idea, based on Jasons from the last Gllug, but not directly
equivalent related to it.

The problem I'm attempting to solve is slightly different, namely, how
to limit the people who get your valid email address. And then to determine
how that can be propagated.

Set up a subdomain, like steev.mydomain.com, and let all my
friends/colleagues mail separate addresses within it. e.g.
jason at steev.mydomain.com would tell me that Jason sent me the mail.

Many people (myself included) do this anyway for mailing lists as the
like. A couple of people use this already.

Then, instead of using such a simple, guessable, name as 'jason' that
persons name (and/or email address) is hashed in a private manner. By
'private' I mean, not an obvious crypt() function. So jason@ might
become 7236487 at . This value could then be stored (database, for example)
and checked against any incoming mail. Any hashes that don't appear can
be treated as spam. PGP could be used, but I think a simpler (max 8
digit number) would be better.

If Jason then wants to hand out my address, he can... but it's his
reputation that's damaged if he gives it to a spammer. I can then, at my
discretion, remove his valid id from the database and either assign a
new one, or not. (depending on the nature of it)

As further extensions, one could limit the senders address to those
included in the database. And/or make sure all mail sent to me happens
through BCC, so one else can hijack it. In the first instance, filtered
mail could appear in one of two folders: approved sender, and possible
referral or spam.

For those without their own domains, we/I/someone could setup a web
mail system whereby anyone could signup for a subdomain account, and
handle everything automatically. Technically speaking, it's not a
difficult problem and wouldn't take long to implement.

Sending mail would check the recipiant, and change the 'from' line
accordingly. Mail to people not in the address book would get new
accounts generated automatically.

Would anyone have a use for this? Would it work? What have I missed?

Steev
p.s. Other PIM data (mobile #, address, etc) is not catered for here. Must
think more on this.
p.p.s. I'm also prepared to put my keypresses where my mouth is to
implement this if there's enough support :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk