[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

George Hazlewood - Layer1 george at layer1.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 10:19:44 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:
> Unfortunately, Flash is bad (by design), and can't be changed to fix
> the problems it has. Alternatives live SVG[1] do fix these problems,
> but currently lack suitable browser support.

I think that the arguments about the goodness or not of Flash are
missing the point.  The fact that a company like Macromedia is beginning
to take notice of Linux as a platform is a good thing.  I certainly know
many web designers and developers who are tied (like me) to Windows on
the Desktop for applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and
Dreamweaver but would love to do the right thing.  Once Macromedia do
something Adobe are sure to follow too.  Oh and I know that I could use
GIMP etc...

Many designers and developers I know have moved to Apple now that
they've got their OS sorted and I have to say I'm sorely tempted to
follow them.  Just think of the number of agencies and web development
companies out there who would benefit from being able to move all their
desktops to *nix.

Cheers

George

--