[Gllug] Debian or Fedora

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 12:13:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:37:18PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:19:51PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> > apt is a complete intergrated package management system. so is rpm.
>
> This is quite inaccurate.  rpm is a low-level package manager, designed
> to manage the local package database and manipulate individual packages.
> In that it is the exact equivalent of Debian's dpkg.  Both tools are
> limited in what they can do to resolve dependencies by that local
> restriction.
>
> Apt is a high-level package management tool, designed both as a
> front-end to dpkg and a tool for synchronising the local package
> database with arbitrary remote package archives.  It is quite unfair to
> compare that with rpm.  Compare apt with yum or urpmi, instead, since
> those tools are aimed at the same level.  It is valid to point out that
> the Red Hat stable of distributions hasn't yet produced a tool with the
> maturity of Apt, but that isn't going to be true for much longer.
>
> --
> Bruce
>
> I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.

i think there are two versions of what usually happens when installing stuff
under debian or redhat.

1.

# apt-get install mozilla
bla bla. we need to download xxx/xxxmb yes/no?
# ok
... wait ...
done

2.
# rpm -ivh mozilla-browser-1.4.0-1.i386.rpm
this depends on all this other crap, and im not going to tell you where to get
them because the package names give no clue to the file
... rummage around rpmfind.net ...
# rpm -ivh one-of-the-depending-packages.rpm
this depends on all this other crap, and im not going to tell you where to get
them because the package names give no clue to the file
... etc....

until very recent incantations of rpm systems, and the limited help of stuff
like urpmi or apt-rpm i have always found there is too much manual donkey work
associated with installing binary rpms. debian's pool and distro system really
does have the right idea, if fedora uses debs then there is hope for them yet.

Ian

> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk