[Gllug] Knoppix [was Re: Debian useless]

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 10:52:40 UTC 2004

On 8 Mar 2004, at 17:37, Garry Heaton wrote:

>> Use Knoppix, it's bootable for a quick demo, it's installable, it's
>> debian
>> based so when it IS installed you can do all the apt-gettery stuff and
>> it's excellent at hardware config...
>
> Yes, I really like Knoppix but I heard the resulting install is
> non-standard
> in some way and doesn't always play nicely with apt-get repositories.
> Anyone
> have anything to add on this?
>
> Garry Heaton

Don't know about apt-get (not heard of any problems), but I think there
is something non-standard about the (non-root) user after a hd install.
I read about that - and got a solution - somehwere on the
www.knoppix.net forums, but I haven't been able to find the post,
despite much searching.

It's also worth pointing out that Knoppix moves fast and gets updated
quite frequently, but the version number has been stuck at 3.3 for
ages. (3.4 is due shortly.) This makes tracking the validity of bugs
and information rather difficult.
(Eg, I didn't even know about the graphical installer until I saw this
months linux magazine - see posts passim.)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk