[Gllug] RAID Help

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Mar 30 08:56:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, wendy carr wrote:

> First my objective is to build a mail server on linux
> RAID.I am planning to install sendmail and user mails
> in mbox format.And on RAID.The idea is that if one of
> the disks fail other should be able to boot
> independently and carry on.
>
> So i have installed redhat 9 with /,swap,/boot and
> /home(where all the mbox's will be).I used mdadm to
> create raid devices.But i cant seem to create raids on
> partitions when they are mounted, so i was unable to
> create raid on my /home and /.

As others have suggested the easiest route for you will be to re-install
the system and set up RAID during the installation process.

You will need to manually set up partitioning during the install from
where you can set up software RAID.

It is very simple.

It is possible to convert a non RAID system to a RAID one however it's not
trivial to do and if this is a new system you will probably find it faster
and easier to just re-install.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk