[Gllug] Data transfer monitoring

Simon MORRIS simon.morris at cmtww.com
Fri Mar 19 10:59:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:49:16AM -0000, Luke Hopkins wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> We have a small public network of 8 IP's, mixed OS's which run through a
> router out into the ether.
> Our provider won't allow us to monitor SNMP on the router, so its
> proving quite difficult to monitor which boxes are transferring what.
>
> What I'd like to do, is put a Linux router in between the Cisco and the
> switch into which all the public boxes are connected; the idea being
> that this would record which IP's are transferring what.
>
> The problem I have is that I don't really 'get' how this Linux router
> would be addressed, I understand port forwarding from public to private
> etc, but I don't want that restriction, for example all of the boxes may
> run a webserver, I guess it needs to be completely transparent.

If I understand your requirements correctly you may not need to use a
Linux router at all.

You could grab a Linux box, install ntop on it and place it on the same
network segment as the router. The ntop box would need to see all the
traffic, so you could either use port mirroring on a switch or a hub to
achieve this.

Ntop gives you a nice HTTP interace and graphs to map your network
usage, and also if the box fails you aren't relying on it to route to
the net.

SM