[Gllug] SCSI and /dev

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 3 20:12:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:50:49PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> Not according to it's author, who explicitly claims it can do everthing
> that devfs can today.

Then that's changed radically since the last time I looked, which was a
month or so ago, I'll admit.
Now, I'll freely admit I've not used either of

> Yes, but as I understand it, devfs is definitely not going to remain

It's going to be there till at least 2.7, this has been assured.

> , so
> any effort invested in it at this point is likely to be a dead end
> somewhere not too far down the line.

2.8 is a while away.

> I've never really understood the urge to have a /dev with only valid
> device nodes in it. I care *far* more about persistent device naming,
> which udev offers, and devfs doesn't. In between SCSI disks, firewire
> storage, and USB card readers, I can't use fstab mounting[1] for my
> removable media. Running rescan-scsi-bus is a hack at best... The
> presence of a few hundred device nodes, which do nothing

It isn't a few hundred.  On a standard Debian system it's 1200 to 1600.
On a fresh Red Hat 9 install it's over 9000.  With devfs you can cut
that down to about 70.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?