[Gllug] Hardware RAID On-Disc Format

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Mar 15 14:47:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:34:21PM +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:02:16 +0000
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
>
> > All in all, I'd never go near an IDE
> > RAID card & certainly don't assume hardware cards are more reliable or
> > faster.
> >
> The smarter IDE RAID cards allow hot-swap. We have a couple of AMI cards that
> do hot-swap. Not massively high-performance but it does save on down-time.

You can do hot-swap of drives with software RAID too if the plain hardware
controller supports hot-swap[1] - just make sure the kernel has been told
to remove the device from the array first.

Dan.

[1] Caveat that I don't know of any non-RAID IDE cards that do - its
    certainly doable with many SCSI controllers though.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|