[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 22:59:27 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Monday 08 Mar 2004 12:01 pm, Matthew King wrote:
>
>>I do find it fascinating how Linux being unable to load a network driver
>>module makes Debian hopeless.
>>
>>Anyone care to explain that one?
>

> Perhaps you didn't quite get what he meant.....
>
> Nowadays, you'd expect any good distro to be very good at detecting hardware
> and automagically loading the right driver or module for it.
>
> My experience has been that Suse and Mandrake usually get it right - Debian
> has always been real grief to install and configure (for me!), so I've
> avoided it for a good while.  Debian's probably better than it was, but I'll
> still stick with distros that I find easy to install, configure and maintain.

But when you look at that statement analytically, you install a system
only once and then run it for several years potentially. However you
configure and maintain that system constantly over that time. Debian has
many advantages when it comes to configuring and maintaining a system
that (for me anyway) more than outweigh any minor inconvenience getting
it installed in the first place.
I'd much rather a system that can be maintained hassle-free for years
but that might take an hour longer to install in the first instance.
Having said that, I've installed Debian quite a number of times without
any hardware issues at all and that makes the odds even better.

SteveH
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk