[Gllug] Website designer who doesn't suck

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Mar 4 18:39:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:33:06PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> True enough ...  having said that we do sometimes serve up different
> CSS pages to cope with IE's CSS bugs.  eg. http://www.merjis.com [see
> why we need a web designer?] has IE-specific CSS and everything-else-
> specific CSS.  You won't be able to see this because I think it's all
> done using server-side browser sniffing.  On other websites we've done
> which are less CSS-intensive we've used a single stylesheet.  eg.
> http://www.j-london.com/ has a single common stylesheet.  It has some
> bugs related to IE, but not enough that we needed to serve up a
> separate stylesheet for this.

As a point of interest, its actually possible to write browser
specific rules without needing to do CSS negotiation on the
server. The trick involves exploiting bugs in various browser
CSS parsers. The following page shows a matrix for identifying
which bugs you need to exploit for a given circumstance!

  http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|