[Gllug] Hardware RAID On-Disc Format

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Mar 15 12:44:06 UTC 2004

I've been using 3ware IDE RAID cards for a while now, and I've found
them to be most excellent.  I've basically stopped using software RAID
and instead shelling out for these 3ware cards.

I mentioned this to a friend who said he'd never use hardware raid if he
could avoid it, because of difficulty he had in recovering once.  He
said that he'd had a (can't remember the brand) raid card blow up on
him, and then discovered that the individual discs wouldn't work on
normal IDE controllers and that the on-disc data format was completely
to cock and basically unrecoverable.

I had, perhaps naively, assumed that the disk format on the individual
drives was going to be whatever the OS thought it was.  Anyone know
anything about this?  I'm quite tempted to test it, because I'd hate to
be left up the proverbial by a vendor going bust.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk