[Gllug] Multiple Distro's, one swap partition?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 8 14:39:03 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 Mar 2004 10:51 am, FORSTER, David wrote:
> Morning all...
>
> I can't seem to get any meaningful results on Google for this:
>
> I've got a new laptop and I'm having difficulty installing Debian on
> it (what a surprise!)
> I'm going to persevere with it, but in the meantime I'd like to get
> something simple like Mandrake, or maybe a knoppix hdinstall, up and
> running on another partition... I was wondering whether I could save
> a little space by using the same swap partition for both Distro's?
> Anyone tried that before?

Yes, it's no problem at all - in fact IMHO it's the best way since the
contents of the swap partition is transient. I also share the /home
partition so user configs and files are consistent across distros - you
need to make sure you have consistent userid setups on each distro for
this. And /tmp to save a bit more space if it's tight (but make sure in
that case that /tmp is cleared at each boot.)

On one system, I also share parts of /opt as well (specifically I set up
a /opt/shared mount point and have OpenOffice, Mozilla and a couple of
others installed under it so they only need updating once for all
distros.)

HTH

Dylan

> Thanks,