[Gllug] Killing the client but leaving the process running

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Mar 4 17:32:23 UTC 2004

* Tom Schutzer-Weissmann <TSCHUTZER-WEISSMANN at ofsted.gov.uk> [040304 17:28]:
> I used putty to get a terminal on a linux server on my windows
> machine. Now I want to go home and really I ought to log out of
> windows, but this will kill my session and an important backup running
> in the background.
>
> Out of curiosity, is there any way to get round this?
>
> As I understand it, my backup is a child process of a bash process,
> and bash is attached to a terminal that happens to be fed over the
> network and displayed on my pc.  So I'm thinking it should be possible
> for the terminal to be fed somewhere else, leaving my pc to do as it
> wishes.  Or even - maybe - the bash process gets a different terminal?

The canonical way to do this (in future) would be to launch the backup
process from a screen session (google gnu-screen).  This allows you to
attach and detach from the same session from multiple locations.

I don't know any way to do this for an existing process.

Personally, I never run a console app unless it's in a screen session -
I never know what I'll want to do with it later.  Plus screen gives me
access to a number of other features such as windowing, copy/paste,
quick switching, etc.

cheers,
jack