[Gllug] Email programs and mbox format

Sharon Kimble sharon63 at lineone.net
Mon Mar 15 11:26:03 UTC 2004

I am currently using Sylpheed-Claws as my main email program and it is
holding a total of 53,682 emails [which I need to keep for research
purposes] in mbox format, although the number is contantly growing. The
only problem is that although I imported one mbox into SC for each
seperate folder, SC then dissected it into lots of little mboxs which is
currently taking up about 6.5gigs of space. When there is just one
mbox for each folder they only take up about 700mb of space. Quite a
difference!

I'm now looking for another email program that can import one mbox for
each folder and will use far less space on my hard drive. I've
previously used 'Evolution' but am extremely wary of using it again
because last time its database became corrupted and I ended up losing
about a months-worth of emails.

Can anyone advise me in getting another program that can import and
export mbox files, or assist in getting more of my hard drive reclaimed.

Sharon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk