[Gllug] GIMP

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 21:06:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 20:34, Rich Walker wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> writes:

> This really is a "don't get us started" area. One of our number runs a
> photolibrary, and the amount of idiocy in this area is incredible. As
> you say, the DPI thing - which comes from the fact that Mac software has
> always had a "DPI" setting for generating jpeg's, I think, so people
> believe it...
>
> Then there's the people who say "we must have a TIFF 'cos it's better"
> (I send them a fax tiff, usually, with a JPEG as "backup" for my own
> amusement) along with the *ridiculous* copyright declarations you run into....

Ah yes. And the wonderful times where people embed an image into Word,
but rather than resize the image then embed it, they insert a 50Mb TIFF,
then just resize it within Word, and wonder why their machine crawls.
Then, to add insult to injury, they try to email it to someone....

We had an experience where we were collecting passport type photos of
people. The member of staff assigned to do this scanned the images from
hardcopy. Explicit instructions regarding sizes were given. I was not
amused to find that the final product of this persons labours was a
directory containing some 50 or so .doc files, each with an embedded
image, and that the JPEGs had been deleted as soon as the word doc was
created, so we didn't even have them on the backup tapes. Aaarrrrgggh.

> > Oh, and there's also 16 bit mode, which Cinepaint (formerly FilmGIMP)
> > supports, but GIMP doesn't. I actually think the practical use of a 16
> > bit per channel editing path is of questionable value for 99.9% of
> > users, but people want the feature nevertheless.
>
> If you've got a slide scanner, you've already noticed that you don't
> have enough colour depth to work with the images... Interestingly, tho',
> no-one seems to use 12-bit-per-channel JPEG, which makes me wonder about
> the amount of disk space wasted storing 16-bit-per-channel images.

Most of the interest I've seen in 16 bit mode comes from people wanting
to exploit the 12bpp data that many cameras save in RAW mode. So I'd
have thought that 12 bit would be enough to satisfy most users.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk