[Gllug] Light the blue touchpaper...

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 17:25:43 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 Mar 2004 1:42 pm, Pete Ryland wrote:

> > Instead of learning how to perform basic mathematical calculations people
> > are learning how to use a calculator.
>
> Did you learn how to calculate tan x by hand before someone gave you a book
> with a table in it?  I doubt it.

Yes.  It was considered to be the correct way to demonstrate the principles
when I was at school.  One you understood the priciples, then books of tables
were introduced.  That is why I probably have a much better understanding of
mathematical principles than my daughter (who's at University, studying
mathematics and astonomy at present).

> We have the technology, why not use it?

Because the mechanised approach doesn't really explain what's going on!

> I'll be the first to admit that my numeracy is far worse than my parents',
> but I don't think I'm any worse for it.  My maths is certainly far far
> better than theirs.  Most of my uni maths exams didn't have any numbers in
> them anyway.

Likewise, but an appreciation of the manipulation of numbers is a prerequisite
for higher mathematics!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk