[Gllug] Re: Debian hopeless

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Mon Mar 8 17:38:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:21:26PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:43, Garry Heaton wrote:
> > I'm obviously wasting my time, then, as I'm looking for a distro to
> > recommend to students. With Debian we'd end up spending half the course
> > getting the hardware working.
>
> Well, if they're computing students, surely the experience of having to
> actually work through a real computing problem is of value.
>
> The big problem with all the clicky distros is the people using them
> simply don't have a clue about how to even start fixing problems.

That is a generalism, which I don't think is true.  Distribution choice is a
personal matter as much as a technical one, plus there may be external factors
such as needs of employers that impact too.

Yes, distributions which you might consider "clicky" may attract inexperienced
users, but again peoples reasons for moving/experimenting with Linux will vary.
I certainly don't think that you can extrapolate that to all users.

Constructive discussion on the different approaches to common problems is good
and useful for development.  Diversity is good.  I think you'll find that
developers talk cross distributions, there is no magic line that divides.
However stereotyping and unfounded comments on anyones side of the fence isn't
really helpful to the Linux community as a whole.

There is no one solution, as individual choice and perspective is important.

Now who's going to Lonix, where we can debate over beer :)

Paul
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk