[Gllug] re: HTML Mail

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 12:17:05 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004, t.clarke wrote:
>People like me (admittedly probably rare) who receive their mail on dumb
>'green screens' find that HTML mail is almost unreadable - the text being
>obscured by zillions of tags.  For us, the extra kilobytes of junk may not
>be a major problem; although if everyone sent us HTML mail we would need to
>increase the bandwidth of our internet connection to at least double !

At work, where I am unavoidably subjected to this garbage, I have w3m
tied into Emacs to render it all as plain text.

However, this is not a sufficient answer, because the formatting often
is degraded compared to plain text - for instance, w3m faithfully
renders sidebars as sidebars and then the text I
                                          actually
                                          care about
                                          is like
                                          this.

For my personal email I tend to feel that not reading HTML-only mail
is a useful way to raise the average clue level of what I do read.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk