qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Mar 18 16:24:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 04:15:05PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Bruce Richardson writes:
>
> >In fact, it's quite a common thing to need to do (for example, to avoid
> >eternal loops when running a mail filter on a different box), it's just
> >that a lot of people don't realise that it's possible at all.
>
> Surely you'd just use X-beenthere or similar to prevent that?

Anybody can add a header.  I never simply trust a header: I always
examine the delivery mechanism and/or sending host for that kind of
thing.  Trusting a header is asking for trouble.

For the header to be a completely reliable mechanism, you would have to
be sure to remove it from incoming messages where the sending host was
anything but the filter box.  Since you then have to check the sending
host anyway, what is the use of the header as a guarantee?

Headers are acceptable for marking some characteristics but useless for
identifying a source.  They can be used for additional validation,
certainly.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"