[Gllug] Email programs and mbox format

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Mar 15 14:06:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 01:13:52PM +0000, Sharon wrote:
> Ext 3 fs. Does this help?

Ext3 is not a great filesystem for having lots of small files.  Reiserfs
is, but I wouldn't trust it for anything I wanted to keep (I use it only
for systems with spools or caches that need high performance, where the
data stored is transient).  Your plan to get the files back into mbox
files is probably your best bet.

There are a number of mail clients that you might use to do this but I
think your best bet are the mbx utilities from the UW-Imap toolkit.
Specifically, mbxcvt can be used to change mailboxes of one type into
another (no IMAP server required).

How to install these utilities depends on your particular distribution.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill