[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 18 12:08:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:32:57AM +0000, Rob Crowther wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> >Put this standard bit of mumbo-jumbo in the top and bottom of the file
> >(the standard bit being a couple of server-side includes). [...]
> >Write the rest of your document.
> >
> I could try it, but I suspect I'd then get a lot of calls about why Word
> keeps doing funny stuff to their documents. :)  There'd also be the
> problem of which server side include belonged with which section of the
> website (different menus etc.), and then I'd have to explain to at least
> one person how to update the menus themselves.  Maybe it would be better
> to do it with SSI (for more than just this reason), but I have to admit
> to quite liking DW for all the other stuff too.

We use Acquisition[1] to provide different site menus for subsites.

> >Finished.  This is not hard.  They can learn fancy stuff like using
> ><strong> and <h?> later.
> >
> Well really they can't, because it's the company's website and things
> like consistent look and feel are important to the marketing director.

Exactly!  That's why giving them the minimum power possible and
putting the look and feel into CSS which you control is the best
route ...

> Which editor do you use?  I find the ability to quickly remove (eg) all
> width attributes from a spreadsheet exported from Excel amazingly
> useful, but a nice lightweight editor that could do it would be much
> better (given that it takes DW about 10 seconds to start up).

Well it's emacs, so the argument about start up time is lost :-)

Rich.

[1] http://www.merjis.com/devlopers/mod_acquire/

C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,
trees, string funcs, pool allocator: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk