[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 09:39:22 UTC 2004

	Ok There are only really three Linux Camps but many distributions.

Camp 1: Redhat,

RPM Based, So its SUSE, Fedurara (How do they wish to spell it?) Mandrake,
etc.

Camp 2: Debian,

Deb based, so Knoppix, Gnoppix, Woody, Sarge, etc etc

Camp 3: Others

Slackware, etc.

	All Distributions fit into one of the three camps, Once the OS is
on your machine very few people have the "Standard Mandrake" distibution
say installed and have a high bread of all the apps they want with alot of
the ones they don't want as well.
	The advantage of Camp Debian is you can actually uninstall what
you don't want any more easily and keep that up to date. I've not yet
worked out how to do that with Camp Redhat without needing to use fdisk
about once every 6 months.
	I installed my home machine from Knoppix and I don't really like
some of the junk I don't know about... but since its from Camp Debian I
can uninstall things and install what I do need relativaly quickly and
simply.
	The problem with debian is the slow speed the debian arcives work
out and the fact that Sarge has been comming for a VERY VERY long time!
but its nothing compared to the Rubbish tip that is Camp Redhat where you
can't find anything.
	Ok so I do install from source for somthings (mostly at work) but
with appart from the annoyances of writing init scripts its lovely.
	Computers are highly complex machines. You can't hide that. so the
tools have to be capabale and yet simple enough to cope with the begginner
its a difficult juggling act.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk