[Gllug] Request for help.

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Mar 2 13:40:44 UTC 2004

Sharon Kimble writes:

>So does anyone know of a fax program that I can compile onto my box,
>that uses a GUI and TCP/IP please? I've searched on Google Linux
>[http://www.google.co.uk/linux] but I don't think that I was using
>the right keywords, or I didn't understand the replies that it gave.

No. There is no such thing as a fax program that uses TCP/IP. Faxes
work over phone lines. Not over the internet. It's possible that you
could use an internet to fax gateway (try http://www.tpc.int/, for
example), in which case, yes, your fax would need to go through the
Netgear box to get to the gateway.

If you have a modem, then you can send a fax with hylafax or sendfax
(distributed with mgetty). But it won't be over the internet, and
hence your firewall need never know about it.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk