[Gllug] Killing the client but leaving the process running

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 17:35:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 17:26, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> I used putty to get a terminal on a linux server on my windows machine. Now I want to go home and really I ought to log out of windows, but this will kill my session and an important backup running in the background.
>
> Out of curiosity, is there any way to get round this?
>
> As I understand it, my backup is a child process of a bash process, and bash is attached to a terminal that happens to be fed over the  network and displayed on my pc.
> So I'm thinking it should be possible for the terminal to be fed somewhere else, leaving my pc to do as it wishes.
> Or even - maybe - the bash process gets a different terminal?
Try using screen.

It can create multiple virtual consoles that you can switch between and
disconnect from.

run screen and then press CTRL+A CTRL+D to disconnect reconnect using
screen -r

You can also have two people on the same screen, which is great to show
someone how you are fixing a problem.

say both log in as the same user and one runs screen, the other screen
-rx

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk