[Gllug] GLLUG Shirts

Sarah Ewen sarah at thaum.net
Tue Mar 2 21:02:56 UTC 2004

Is using HTML to bring a little colour, shape and life into
a simple email such an evil thing to do when the MIME type is set?

If it brightens somebody's day to send emails with a background,
or write in blue comic sans serif, can we just let them be, and
grant them a few K, instead of immediately, predictably whining?

What amuses me is that those who complain are always the ones
who are more than technically literate enough to integrate a text
based browser into their text based mail client, should they want
to see what the email says.

It's not such a burden to you; stop sounding like people just
sent you a spam.

I'm not defending hotmail; I'm just saying that if a bit of colour
and style makes technology a bit more approachable to people, then
maybe that's a good thing. My aunt emails me and she sends flowery
backgrounds to her mails. It's nice to express yourself a bit when
you're communicating.

I'm not directly targetting anyone who replied today; I'm just a bit
tired of seeing the expected 3-4 mails tartly slapping people's
wrists as soon as someone sends HTML mail to the list. Particularly
if the mail is from a newbie - as others have said, what kind of
welcome is that to the Linux community?

I haven't checked the GLLUG posting rules - knowing my luck there
is probably something about not sending HTML :)

Sarah.
[why are you all backing away from me? blasphemy? what?!]
<contemplates deleting email...ach hell sends it/>
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk