[Gllug] Urgent Help re USB please

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Mar 5 13:56:12 UTC 2004

On Fri 05 Mar Sharon Kimble wrote:
> And I haven't a clue how to use it! I'vd got a Palm m130 pda which
> connects via a USB cradle, except mine doesn't seem to.
>
> I'm using White Box Enterprise Linux 3 [essentially RHEL 3] with the
> kernel being kernel-2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.athlon.rpm.
>
> If I've got the ports, how do I get to use them please?

For a palm pilot, you need a kernel module that knows how to talk to
them.  For mine, the 'visor' module does the stuff:

# modprobe visor

I believe this should work with your m130 too.

Once you've loaded the module (put it in /etc/modules if you want it to
load every time), tail /var/log/messages and hit the sync button.

Your palm will talk to your computer and be assigned a serial port.  It
will look like:

Mar  2 17:31:54 pecorino kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:03.1-2, assigned address 6
Mar  2 17:31:54 pecorino kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter detected
Mar  2 17:31:54 pecorino kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)

You can now tell your sync program (jpilot or kpilot or whatever) to
use /dev/ttyUSB0 or whichever serial port you've got.

Very irritatingly, you MUST hit the sync button before running your sync
program, because it doesn't get allocated the serial port until you hit
sync.  The usb modules get all confused if you try to use /dev/ttyUSB0
before there is something on there.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk