qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

C. Cooke ccooke-gllug at gkhs.net
Thu Mar 18 15:04:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:18:43PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> A shame. It still has features that no other MTA can match. Milter,
> socket map, and a level of flexibility that it's competitors will, by
> design, never reach. Today's m4 based configs make it almost trivial to
> configure in most cases. I tend to think it fits one of the Perl
> catchphases well - it makes the easy things easy and the hard things
> possible. I've also never lost mail with sendmail, which is more than I
> can say for friends who've run some of the alternatives (though it's
> hardly frequent, admittedly).

Hmm.

I'd say exim is in the same class of configuration flexibility,
actually. It has embedded perl, it's completely rewritable... and yes, I
have seen turing complete config files for it.

I prefer to use exim, because I know it very well. I'd say postfix is a
better MTA for the general case, perhaps... But I've seen no use for
sendmail since I removed it from the last of my systems - and I remove
q***l any time I find it as a number one priority. Whatever else you
say, I don't see any way you can justify q***l in a responsible
business. (Note I'm not saying home use is bad).

--
Charles Cooke, Sysadmin
Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk