[Gllug] Debian or Fedora

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Mar 8 12:14:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Richard Turner wrote:

> > Well, apt for RPM makes Redhat _almost_ useable.
> >
> > To get rid of the "almost", you'd have to give me more than one tenth
> of
> > the packages available on Debian.
>
> Give it time - apt and yum for Red Hat are still in their infancy.  I
> reckon as more RH users move over to Fedora Core and discover the
> pleasures of automatic dependency resolution the number of repositories
> will grow to include more and more of the packages that Debian users are
> accustomed to having so easily available.

Gaaaaaaaa.....  Flamebait.
I agree with what you say about apt and yum.
But as someone who has been using apt-for-rpm on Redhat for quite some
time, and yum on Fedora since it came out,
these days I'm more surprised when I can't find a package as an RPM than
when I can.

I recently installed two Linux-HA systems using the heartbeat RPMs from
Horms
rather than compile my own from source.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk