[Gllug] Any bank not in the dark ages?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue May 4 15:21:29 UTC 2004

On Tue 04 May Richard Jones wrote:
> I've just spent 2 hours and counting attempting to transfer a small
> Euro sum from my UK bank to a bank in the Netherlands.  I've so far
> failed.
>
> Is there ANY UK bank out there that has a good quality web interface
> which lets you do this stuff easily and quickly online??  I can't
> believe how hard and expensive it is ...

Weird, what a coincidence - I had to do a SWIFT transfer to the
Netherlands the other week and almost topped myself with frustration.
Abbey National would do it for 25 quid, but then told me they would only
do it for sums over 100 UKP for 'my own protection'.

Nationwide would do it for 20 quid, but only if I turned up in person
with my passport, and had lots of information (like the address of the
receiving bank) and made some very confusing choices about bank charges.

Took me four attempts in the end, and about four hours.  I've just
closed my old current account and opened a new one with first direct,
because they said they could organise this kind of thing over the phone
(don't know if you can do it over the Internet yet).  Still costs 20
quid though, and you still need all the information.

doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | A hamster is someone who sends email people
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | want to read.