[Gllug] Re: [linuxjobs] Cypher: help requested

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon May 31 12:39:27 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 13:18, Richard Jones wrote:
approx. 500:1 compression.

> Even if we assume he's just talking about video compression, that is
> incredibly optimistic.
>
> Actually, he contradicts himself later on, saying that a 256MB flash
> card could store 2TB of data, which if my maths is right is 8192:1
> compression.
>
> Snakeoil, in other words.
>
> Rich.

Well, I admit it sounds very unlikely.

But that is not the same as your original statement: you do not know it is
bunk, you just have a pretty good idea that it is.

However maybe he is about to win the Fields Medal and we will spend the rest
of our lives regretting that we didn't back him when we had the chance :-}

Adrian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk