[Gllug] Traceroute query

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun May 30 17:40:10 UTC 2004

I know this must be a simple one, but what does this mean?

-----
traceroute to www.google.com (66.102.11.104), 30 hops max, 40 byte
packets
 1  192.168.0.254  0.497 ms   0.495 ms   0.595 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
-----

It continues like this to 30, as you'd expect.

My connection's fine -- I can ping Google and networking is working
exactly as I'd expect, I just can't use traceroute because whatever host
I use I just see a load of asterisks.

BTW, in case it's not blindingly obvious, 192.168.0.254 is my ADSL
router.  Is this my router silently dropping ICMP packets or something
like that?

Cheers,

Richard.

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."