[Gllug] Re: [linuxjobs] Cypher: help requested

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon May 31 12:18:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:57:42PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2004 11:22, Richard Jones wrote:
> > (Original message attached below, for the entertainment of GLLUG members).
> >
> > Hello Allan,
> >
> > Without even needing to know your encryption / compression method, I
> > can tell it is bunk.
> >
> > Please see questions 9  and 73 in the Compression FAQ:
> >
> > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/
> > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part2/
> >
> > Rich.
> >
> Are you sure? He says they "typically" occupy 1% of the original size. That
> doesn't exclude them being 100% of the original size. Or have i missed
> something?

The exact phrase is "Theoretically, depending upon the processor
available for decoding, data-transmission could exceed 12GB/hour over
the dial-up connection, well above DSL".  He doesn't specify the type
of data, so we can assume this is a general compression method
attaining 12GB vs 25MB / hour = approx. 500:1 compression.

Even if we assume he's just talking about video compression, that is
incredibly optimistic.

Actually, he contradicts himself later on, saying that a 256MB flash
card could store 2TB of data, which if my maths is right is 8192:1
compression.

Snakeoil, in other words.

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk