[Gllug] Sharing files on Windows machine

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun May 9 12:36:03 UTC 2004

Tom Trainer wrote:
>  On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 14:52, Andrew Roberts wrote:
>

>>If you have the relevant modules built for the kernel, you should be
>>able to just do:
>>
>>mkdir /mnt/win
>>mount /dev/hdXX /mnt/win
>>
>>where XX is the partition where your windows files reside.
>

> When I do that, I get "mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel"
> What can I do about this?

Try "modprobe ntfs". If it can't find it you will have to build it - no
need to build an entire kernel, just update the config to include the
module and "make modules; make modules_install". I think all default
kernels will include it.

It is not recommended to mount NTFS read/write so add "-o ro" to the
mount command.

If you want to share data with Windows on a dual boot machine a FAT
filesystem is best.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk