[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 14 08:46:40 UTC 2004

Hello,
   I have been trying to get (Debian) Linux to install and boot correctly on
a tower box with a mixture of IDE and SCSI discs. The motherboard is able to
access 2 IDE chains plus 50pin SE SCSI, wide SE SCSI, and wide LVD SCSI.
   The aim is to build a multimedia-capable box, so I have fitted 2 IDE hard
discs, an IDE CD/DVD reader, an IDE CD/DVD R/W, and a fast LVD SCSI drive. I
would also like to connect additional SCSI drives, 50pin SE SCSI scanners,
etc.
   I find that booting hangs because the system tries to fsck.ext2 check the
filesystem on the SCSI drive before the SCSI bus has been scanned for
devices, so the drive is not seen.
   Is this a well-known problem with a standard work-around? I have sent a
bug report, but it does not appear to have been picked up. I first tried the
Sarge Testing installer, and have since tried the Woody system, with the
same result. Knoppix, of course, just works.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk