[Gllug] .procmailrc and lockfile question

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue May 25 20:20:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 19:47, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
> > Courier is actually technically not IMAP compliant....
>
> What is your basis for this claim?

Try reading this thread:-

http://tinyurl.com/2qbdf

There are places where Courier's implementation diverges from the
standard. Courier's author tends to implement what he thinks the IMAP
standard should have said, rather that what it actually does say.

> Have you read http://www.courier-mta.org/fud/ ?

Yes. There are many allegations there, but little substantiation. Mark
Crispin's posts in the above thread point to *specific* problems, which
the Courier author refused to address. There was no mention in that
thread of it being technically impossible to address them, he just
didn't agree with the IMAP spec the way it was written. Even reading the
page you reference, it comes over as unwillingness and intransigence,
not inability to correct the issue.

Note that the above doesn't mean I think Courier is bad - I don't. I do
however believe it doesn't technically follow the spec precisely.
Clearly however, it's deviations don't pose a significant problem for
its userbase, and it certainly seems to be a decent server on the whole.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk