[Gllug] VACANCY: LAMP/WAMP Web Developers Required

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Fri May 28 19:27:52 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:
> Branden Faulls writes:
>

>>Look at our sister site, www.tsi-resourcing.co.uk, for a better
>>example.
>

> Just curious... why are you returning a 404 for every page?
>
> Tet

  Nearly every page will involve a 404 until it is cached.  It is a
technique that Rasmus Lerdorf calls "funky caching".  If a page doesn't
exist, it gets redirected to a script which either serves dynamic
content or generates, and caches the appropriate page.  If you are
getting 404's a lot, it may be  that the cache has just been cleared, or
you're viewing a page that is never cached.

It's an elegant hack if you have no control over mod_rewrite, and you
want a simple caching mechanism.  Works well on the site we built for
Viatel. (http://www.viatel.com)

Branden

--
|Branden Faulls                         |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk