[Gllug] A little OT - suppressing Ads

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue May 11 19:46:05 UTC 2004

This isn't really about Linux (although I do run some nameservers on
Linux) but I think there will be folks here with valuable
opinions/experience.

I am considering suppressing adverts on websites for our users by
pointing *.doubleclick.net at 127.0.0.1 on the internal nameservers. I
have done it on the home network to test it. This seems to take care of
most of the ads and not cause much problem. It does make eBay a bit
cumbersome but our users at work aren't supposed to be using eBay - we
are in the container shipping business and I have yet to see anyone
selling container space on eBay (there has been the odd ship, granted,
but not the sort we use:) I've not noticed any other problem so far.

Any opinions or experiences as to the wisdom of this?

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk