[Gllug] Mixed IDE and SCSI discs with Linux

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat May 8 09:12:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 09:51:53AM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have been trying to install Debian Sarge on a dual PII box with
> hda 28GB, / plus swap
> hdc whole 80GB drive available for multimedia data
> sda whole 70GB drive available for multimedia data
>
>    The installation appears to be OK, but on re-boot fsck complains that it
> is unable to find sda before the SCSI system is scanned for devices, and the
> drive is not shown as available. Should I expect it to do better? I would be
> happier using lilo than grub, but grub appears to be the standard.

The new installer is still in beta and that may be your problem.
Install Woody and then upgrade to Sarge.  The Woody installer uses lilo,
which should make you happier.

Mind you, it really is worth learning how grub works.  It's a much more
intelligent boot loader and is much more helpful in this kind of
situation.  With grub, you can experiment with different boot options
at the boot prompt until you get it right.

--
Bruce

Explota!: miles de lemmings no pueden estar equivocados.