[Gllug] I hate PC BIOSes

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed May 5 16:21:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 17:11, Doug Winter wrote:
> I've got a new rackmount machine.  I have got serial console working for
> BIOS access, but when the machine is booted without a keyboard it gives
> a keyboard error.
>
> Obviously this is no good for a rackmount.  So I find the "System
> Keyboard" setting in the BIOS and change it from "Present" to "Not
> Present".

Agree that serial access to the BIOS is a good thing (did some testing
of this a couple of years ago).
I'm not familiar with the particular machine,
but isn't the setting 'Halt on All But Keyboard', or is that a Phoenix
BIOS thing?

Also, and damn stupid question as this is a new machine, is there an
update available already?

Or give in and follow the previous GLLUG thread on this. Grab keyboard
from dumpster, cut out entrails and tie into rack. Inelegant, yes.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk