[Gllug] Fedora DVDs

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon May 24 09:23:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 03:48:49PM +0100, David Zverina wrote:
> I have the FC2 DVD. It seems stable on my laptop (unlike the FC2-test3).
> If you install it on dual boot machine you may want to install grub in
> the boot sector of the linux partition instead of the MBR though. At
> least until we have the final word on the MBR issue.

Seems like its a problem with 2.6 kernels in general - Mandrake 10
has the same problem too..

<quote src=http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/issue12.shtml>
It turns out that the bug (#115980) is a result of a few subtle but key
changes within the 2.6 kernel. A certain functionality with regards to hard
disk geometry has been pulled out, as the kernel developers thought it would
be better if userspace utilities took care of this instead. The Bugzilla bug
is related to CHS geometry problems, which most likely stems from an error
within the parted utility, addressing the BIOS incorrectly. It turns out
that BIOS updates tend to fix problems for many users that have been bitten
by this "bug". On newer machines, this is basically non-reproducible.
</quote>

Dan.