[Gllug] Disk Wipe

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Mon May 24 11:34:47 UTC 2004

On May 24 2004, FORSTER, wrote:
> I want to perform a secure wipe of a disk.

May I suggest a steel brush? :)

> You know the type of thing where you overwrite the data on the disk
> with (pseudo)random bytes before marking it as deleted in the FAT (or
> equivalent).

Ah, that type... I see others have suggested things before me. ISTR that
in some military environments a "secure wipe" means overwriting the disk
with random data at least 7 before sending it away for physical
destruction. Depends how paranoid you are, of course.

> Ideally I would like to be able to use a Knoppix CD to do this, and if
> anyone can suggest a method that I can use which will either wipe
> individual files OR whole disks then that would be the icing on the
> cake :o)

`shred' will do individual files. Dunno how secure it is, but

Stig
--
brautaset.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk