[Gllug] Samba , Apache and 'Text file busy'

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Thu May 20 16:29:02 UTC 2004

Hello All ,

I am editing a cgi script in xemacs via a samba fileshare , this file is also served by apache on the remote box.

I save the file and apache will not serve it and when i try to run it from the command
line i get told 'Text file busy' .

lsof filename tells me that smbd is still using it .

So i googled for possible answers/explanations , it appears to be a problem that a few people
are suffering from , sadly nothing cleverer than restart samba was suggested (that worked).

This doesn't seem to happen with vi so maybe there is an option in emacs to let go of the file.

Any suggestions that don't include switching to vi ?

Toodle-pip
Amias

P.S both machines are running redhat9 with samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0.i386.rpm which is the newest i could find.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk